Monday, May 25, 2009

Gymnastics Awards

So tonight turned out to be really great night in the end. Tonight was Caroline's end of year gymnastics awards. It was just a night for the kids to show their parents and family what they have learned over the past year. Since the first time Caroline had heard about it, she has been begging, whining, moaning and groaning that she absolutely DID NOT want to do it. When asked why, she said that she was embarrassed and was scared that she would fall off of the beam. We tried to assure her over the past few weeks that it wasn't a big deal and that no one would laugh or think differently of her if she fell off. Scott and I debated whether to force her to go or just drop it and not make a big deal about it. I am always worried about scarring her for life when it comes to these kind of things. I was always a shy and timid girl and hated any attention brought upon myself. (ie. those stinking piano recitals that I was forced to do!!!)
So, I did what any mother would do and let Scott make the decision. We did bribe her with going out to eat and lots of hugs and assurance! She finally agreed and reluctantly went.
They started off warming up. This is Caroline's backbend - one of her favorite stunts.
Cooper was busy playing with his trains on the mats. Such a sweet, deceiving smile!
Then they worked on their rolls.

We were so darn proud of Caroline!! I started tearing up when I saw that huge, proud grin on her face when she was through with her routine. She was so proud of herself and beamed from ear to ear. Of course, Cooper steals the show after her dismount letting the entire room know that he needed to potty. That child has only one level. He cracks me up!!



She quickly admitted afterwards that she was glad that she did it. Hopefully, this will give her a big boost of morale!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Caroline: You looked great at your gymnastics party. I hope you will do this again and have a good time. We are so proud of you. Wish we had known about the end of year exhibition and Grand Bob and I would have tried to be there. Great job little Miss Caroline. Love, GRAM

Anonymous said...

Leigh: Please read my comment to Caroline. She really did a great job and I am so glad that she finally decided to go and participate. Yes, it will be a good morale booster for her, I think. Judy

Mary said...

YEAH!!! She did great! I totally know how she feels...I hate having people looking at me...and my Lil is the same way. I think you did the right thing...I wish I would have been pushed a little more when I was little so that I didn't still struggle with that today!

I hope Cooper made it to the potty! Love you!

Anonymous said...

Leigh, That was awesome!! And love little Cooper at the end! Can't wait to see you guys soon! Love, Jenny